Realms of an Open Mind

Forbidden romances. Dystopian worlds. Unimaginable creatures. Dark nightmares. Beautiful dreams. All within the Realms of an Open Mind.

realmsofanopenmind
2257

Days of Blood & Starlight
Laini Taylor
Fiendish
Brenna Yovanoff
On Writing
Stephen King

Tuesday Prelude is a weekly meme inspired by Should Be Reading's Teaser Tuesday. I could never just stick to two lines, so I decided to amp up my posts a bit, introducing you to the characters, settings, or history behind my current reads.

I'm still reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and there's just soooo much awesomeness in this novel so far, I doubt it will feel redundant with last week's TP.

Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Karou's unlike anyone else, but even she is unsure of who (or what) that is. She can't really have a normal life, what with these "errands" that cause her to disappear for random days at a time.

"Well," said her friend, "it's a Karou. Get a good look, folks. Sightings of this elusive creature are getting rarer all the time."

She's lonely, never allowed to be one whole person, with one foot in this world and one foot in another. Karou's constantly torn, and a part of her yearns to be free.

What magnitude of wish, she wondered, would it take to endow her with flight.

Is she on the side of good or evil? Both? Neither?

Karou? Akiva knew that word. It meant hope in the language of the enemy.

My mind is whirling when it comes to the conundrum that is Karou. To what future will her past lead her?

Happy Reading Everyone :)

Source: http://realmsofanopenmind.blogspot.com/2013/02/tuesday-prelude_26.html