Realms of an Open Mind

Forbidden romances. Dystopian worlds. Unimaginable creatures. Dark nightmares. Beautiful dreams. All within the Realms of an Open Mind.

realmsofanopenmind

On Writing
Stephen King

Review: Crash by Nicole Williams

Crash  - Nicole  Williams

Jude Ryder and Lucy Larson are this generation's Romeo and Juliet: Explosive. Sizzling. Tragic.

A steamy summer encounter with bad boy Jude means trouble for Lucy. Her sights are set on becoming a ballerina, and she won't let anything get in her way . . . except Jude.

He's got a rap sheet, dangerous mood swings, and a name that's been sighed, shouted, and cursed by who knows how many girls.

Jude's a cancer, the kind of guy who's fated to ruin the lives of girls like Lucy—and he tells her so.

But as rumors run rampant and reputations are destroyed, Lucy's not listening to Jude's warning. Is tragedy waiting in the wings? This racy romance is hot, hot, hot!

****

The Characters

Jude is reminiscent of Travis *swoon* from Beautiful Disaster. He's the temperamental bad boy (in this case, felon) with a reputation. Really, what's not to like? How about constant self-deprication? I'm all for the bruised and tortured soul, but Jude took his self-hatred to a freakishly annoying level. The "I'm a cancer" bit got stale real fast, not to mention the overused "you'll stay away from me if you're smart" line.

I feel like I've been beaten with this type of character over and over again. *thinks he's no good for the girl**can't stay away from her**beats himself up about trying to be with her* blah blah blah.... You know... THAT guy... But you know what? To say he's had it rough is an understatement, so even though I found the whole thing a little overdone, I could find it in my heart to cut him some slack.

Luce, on the other hand... All she did the entire freaking time was complain, bitch, moan, cry, whine, and contradict herself. She'd try her ever-lovin hardest to put off this tough/smart-girl vibe, which I gullibly believed at first, but eventually all I was able to see was a girl who did what was convenient and then complain about it the entire time.

So Luce, got a couple questions for you:

1.) Why'd you befriend Taylor only to constantly think of her as the stereotypical future Stepford-wife?

2.) How in the world did you end up with Sawyer when you yourself said there were things about him that annoyed you to no end and made the hair on the back of your neck stand on end?

3.) You hate being judged and you seem to hate people making assumptions even more, but you're so quick to do it yourself. Jump to conclusions and ask questions later. What's up with that?

4.) If you knew you'd regret letting Jude walk away (as he is putting one step in front of the other, mind you), why'd you let him? Did you have a bout of not-so-temporary insanity that paralyzed you from the brain down? HELLO. You make no sense...

The Romance

There are a lot of swoon-worthy moments in this book, I'll give it that. But each moment seemed to be overshadowed by an immediate clusterf**k of drama that was totally exhausting. I lost count of how many times Luce was "done with Jude for good". But like I said - swoon-worthy.

Sparks definitely flew between Jude and Luce, and I think part of what kept me reading was 1) the moments they shared when they weren't freaking out on each other and 2) the fact that I hoped they'd both come to their senses and just work it out already.

The Plot

So what's this book about in a nutshell? Bad boy and "good" girl fall hard for each other definitely tops the list, but what saved this book from a one star review were some of the messages it brough to the table.

1.) Don't be so quick to judge and make assumptions about others. 9 times out of 10, you have no idea what you're really seeing.

2.) Give yourself a break. Your past doesn't have to reflect what you're future holds.

3.) Take the good with the bad.

Credit is due for those meaningful lessons, I just had a hard time dealing with the constant, neverending drama. Don't get me wrong, I understand that drama can be a driving force in a good book, but most of this stuff was way too far fetched for me to really take hold of and believe.

Will I read the next books? I kinda feel like the sequels will be a whole lot of fighting, crying, leaving, and making up, not necessarily in that order, but certainly over and over again. So, nah, probably not.